Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A Merry Heart is the Best Medicine!

     Recuperating from surgery is about as much fun as walking barefoot through a patch of sand spurs.  Best way I can describe it!  However, our outlook makes all the difference in the world and without a sense of humor each day, we lose touch with the hope of our high calling in Christ.  This is one thing I learned early in life.
     My parents both had such a sense of humor and at times, we would fill our home with sounds of laughter over the silly things we said or did.  Lets face it.  We all have those moments when we do some funny stunt and it is far better to laugh than to cry over them.  For example, I will never forget the day my father had learned to fry an egg.  He was so excited over his accomplishment that he left his plate on the table instead of bringing it to the stove.  So, as he walked across the kitchen carrying the egg on the spatula, it fell unceremoniously to the floor making a mess.  Instead of getting mad, we both looked at each other and started laughing over his accident.
     Proverbs 17:22 tells us: "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."  Even doctors will tell you that laughter releases chemicals in the body that help you feel better and heal more quickly.  On the other hand, depression and anxiety weigh us down.  Jesus also reminded us not to worry or be anxious for anything in "the Sermon on the Mount" (Matthew 6:25-34).  We can't change anything by being upset about it now can we?  However, Paul tells us what we should be doing instead.
     In his letter to the church at Philippi, Paul wrote these encouraging words (Phil. 4:6): "...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  Somehow, when we get into a mode of thanksgiving in our prayer time or even in our discussion with friends, it not only glorifies God but it lifts our mood as well.  We are a blessed people in Jesus Christ.  He has given us cause for laughter even in the midst of pain.
Branson Thayer...the joy in our lives!
      Today, as I worked with my physical therapist, we talked about the loss of our first grandchild in 2014.  She had seen all the pictures in our living room and wondered what happened.  I described him  and the wonderful joy he brought to our lives.  She seemed surprised that I could share and chuckle about his many giggles he would give over the times we played with him.  Yet, this is a gift of God who does heal the broken hearted.  I explained that while I missed him terribly we still had him for six wonderful years.  He was a gift from God about which we can never thank the Lord enough!
      When we look for the humor in life, the joy of living in Jesus Christ and seek to find the good in each day, our lives will be storing up the blessings that God provides.  We need a reserve for those days when things are not so bright and cheery.  Then, we can look back and see all that the Lord has done for us and smile again.
      Worship is perhaps the greatest way for us to store up the joy of the Lord and singing His songs of praise can lift even the most morose soul.  Being in the choir, I try hard to smile during worship services because I have the love of the Lord living in me.  I do wish more would smile back and as one preacher said, "Inform you face that you
are happy in Christ."  Sometimes, we have to make an effort to smile, laugh and be in fellowship with others.  Yet, the dividends that we receive are without measure.  Try smiling more, laughing more and rejoicing in Christ more.  I guarantee it works!
      Today, for example, I sat down on our couch much too fast, with too much bend in my operative knee and for a moment, I think my dear husband thought I was talking another language as various sounds came from my mouth.  My knee quickly reminded me that it is not ready for prime time yet.  Both my husband and I had a good laugh over my gibberish.  Certainly helps to keep the pain at bay.
     Whatever season of life you are in right now, I challenge you to remember that a merry heart does work like medicine.  God wants us to laugh and rejoice in all He has done for us despite the circumstances of life.  Jesus overcame the world and so can we in His power!  Paul said it well when he wrote:  "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice." (Phil 4:4).  Keep smiling and always maintain a sense of humor.  It will see us through the darkest valley as we walk with the Lord.  Selah!
   

No comments: