Wednesday, April 8, 2020

There is Power in the Blood

     This is Holy week for Christians.  A time of preparation for the greatest story ever told:  the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Yet, this year it is very different for all of us.  We are not able to attend services and fellowship as we would normally do but we can meditate on what Jesus did for us in the quiet of our own homes.  Like those in the persecuted church,  we must confine our faith within the borders of our own four walls until the current illness passes; so this should be a time to think on what Jesus did for us.
     After my walk this morning, I started singing a song I haven't heard in a number of years written by Andrae Crouch called "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power".  The first verse is so true:
     The blood that Jesus shed for me
     Way back on Calvary
     The blood that gives me strength
     From day to day
     It will never lose its power
     It reaches to the highest mountain
     It flows to the lowest valley
    The blood that gives me strength
     From day to day
     It will never lose its power.
     No matter what our circumstances, the blood of Jesus Christ made a difference for you and I.  It tore the curtain in the Temple that separated the Holy of Holies from the people meaning that we can now approach God directly through the blood of Christ.  Having that access means that God sees us as righteous because of our belief in Jesus Christ as our Savior.  He no longer sees our sins.
     When I picked up a daily devotional book
("Voices from the Past" Vol. 2 pg. 98)  I read this Scripture:  2 Timothy 4:18:  "The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into His heavenly kingdom."  Then Thomas Brooks (a voice from the past) wrote these words that lifted me up:  "The imputed righteousness of Christ will answer all of the fears, doubts and objections of your soul.  How shall I look up to God? - In the righteousness of Christ.  How shall I have communion with a holy God? - In the righteousness of Christ.  How shall I find acceptance with God? - In the righteousness of Christ.  How shall I die? - In the righteousness of Christ.  How shall I stand before the judgment seat? - In the righteousness of Christ" (Thomas Brooks, Works, v.:238-240).
     Because of what Christ accomplished in his life, death and resurrection, we are now accepted by God as righteous when we believe in Jesus Christ His Son.  He paid the price for our sin, and now we have access to God every day no matter where we are.  This is the wonder and message of Holy week.  We may not be able to gather as we normally would, but we can rejoice in the knowledge that our salvation is complete in Christ.  There is nothing we can add or take away.  As Jesus said from the cross, "It is finished."
     Thomas Brooks went on to say something we need to meditate on this week:  "The righteousness of Christ is your life, your joy, your comfort, your crown, your confidence, your heaven and your all. In righteousness you may safely and comfortably live, and happily and quietly die."  His blood has given to us the strength for each day.  Yes we shall get through this time of isolation because the blood of Jesus Christ will never lose its power.  We are free in Him and His righteousness!  Selah!

No comments: