Friday, October 23, 2020

Our Good Shepherd

     As I was going through some books and papers I have accumulated, I found some notes I took during a sermon.  Taking notes is a habit I developed in college because it helped me recall what I heard during class and has served me well over the years as I listen to sermons.  These notes pertained to sheep.  Now I have no idea who was preaching at the time, but I know that these points stood out clearly in my mind as we are often referred to as sheep by our Lord.  In addition, our Savior is called the Good Shepherd.

     John 10:14-15 says this about Jesus Christ:  "14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep."  As believers, we are the sheep of His fold, and He watches over us.  So why do we need care and protection?  There are some characteristics of sheep that are very similar to human beings.

     First, sheep have no sense of direction.  They must be watched over carefully or they can stray and become lost.  My father thought he had a great sense of direction until we went fifty miles our of our way on a family trip (pre-GPS).  Even with GPS, we can still make a wrong turn.  The same is true in our spiritual life.  We need God's guidance daily in this fallen world. It is far too easy to get out of the pasture He has for us to graze in and get lost.

     Another truth is that sheep cannot clean themselves.  The Shepherd must remove the burrs and other things that get stuck in their wool.  Likewise, we cannot clean ourselves of sin.  Only God can cleanse us by the blood of His Son Jesus Christ.  All our good works are as filthy rags compared to God's holiness.  Therefore, we need a Savior to keep us clean (Ephesians 2:8-9).

     Third, sheep are helpless when they are injured.  A good shepherd would clean and anoint the wound with oil.  He often had to carry a lamb that was injured until it healed.  This is true for believers as well.  How frequently we think we can "tough it out" and take care of ourselves when we are hurt or sick.  In reality, we need God's healing touch to see us through. His care for us through illness, emotional pain and discouragement is like no other.

     Over and over again, the Bible refers to God as our rock and our refuge.  He is our help when trouble comes our way.  This is mirrored in the way a shepherd protects his flock.  Sheep, after all, are defenseless and easy prey for wolves, bears or lions.  David often had to do battle with these predators to protect his sheep.  God has promised to never leave or forsake us because He is the Good Shepherd of our souls in the same way.

     Because sheep have no sense of direction to guide them, they do not have the ability to find food or water.  Again, the shepherd's job was to lead them to pastures and water so they could be filled.  Psalm 23 speaks about God leading us beside the still waters and into green pastures.  In Christ, our needs are met.  He is the living water and the Bread of life that feeds our souls.  Each day by the Holy Spirits' leading we are filled afresh when we dine on God's Word and spend time in prayer.  How grateful we should be for His care!

     Like many animals, sheep are easily frightened.  They can be spooked by strange sounds or sudden movements.  In ancient times, a shepherd would soothe them with night songs.  We know that David played the harp and sang songs to the sheep during the long lonely nights.  Likewise, God sings over us, and calms our fears in the long night.  My mother used to tell me that if we wake during the night, we should pray because the Lord will put us back to sleep.  It has worked for me over the years!  His calming presence takes away the fears and doubts.

     Finally, sheep have a thick wool coat that belongs to the shepherd.  Usually once a year, the sheep are sheared and their wool is used to make clothing.  This is the reward for the shepherds diligent care.  All that we have belongs to the Lord in terms of our production and prosperity.  We are commanded to give ten percent as a tithe into God's storehouse so the Word can be preached and needs can be met.  This is a small amount compared to all the blessings He pours out on us daily.  

     Seeing ourselves as sheep under the care of our Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, puts a whole new meaning to God's Word when seen through the eyes of faith.  We are utterly dependent on Him.  When we stray, He will come looking for us.  If we hurt, He will bandage us up. His provision is complete and we have all we need for life and godliness.  This should encourage us even in the darkest of times.  May we live as obedient sheep in His pasture and rejoice in His presence daily!  Selah!

      

No comments: