Tuesday, October 26, 2021

When We Need an Encouraging Word

     My father enjoyed watching many of the western shows on T.V. when I was growing up.  I don't think he ever missed an episode of "Gunsmoke" or "Maverick" among the many he watched.  He also liked to sing "Home, Home on the Range" as he prepared for work in the morning....especially the part that goes "for never was heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day."  Most of us wish we lived in a world where there is more encouragement rather than discouragement on a daily basis, but if we are like most homes, we have such a resource.  It's called the Bible.

     A friend and I finished a Bible study this week which pointed to God's Word as a place of encouragement for all believers.  Not only does it lay down our moral law to live by, but it


also reveals God's character to us.  We find manifold promises, stories of faith, and the truth for how to live in a fallen world.  Perhaps one of my most favorite books of the Bible is the Psalms.  This book was made dear to me by my mother who encouraged me to read this whenever I needed a lift  or to vent my emotions.  Clearly, David, who authored many of the Psalms, released his deepest needs and greatest longings in song to God.  I find I not only love to sing the Psalms but I also love to use them as words in prayer before the Lord.

     One Psalm in particular (Psalm 119) points out to us why God's Word offers us so much encouragement.  Looking at verses 1-2, we see that we can find blessing/happiness in His Word:  "Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!  Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with their whole heart...."  Then, taking a look at verse 6, we can see that staying in the Bible is a way to avoid shame as we walk in His commandments.  Verse 9 answers the question of how we may keep safe:  "How can a young man keep his way pure?  By guarding it according to your Word."  Further down in this Psalm (Verse 24), we discover that the Bible offers us good counsel and who doesn't need that on a daily basis?  If we need strength, we can also find that in God's Word (verse 28):  "My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your Word."  Do we need hope?  Verse 43 says:  "And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for my hope is in Your rules."  In verse 98-100, 130, we see that wisdom comes from looking into God's Word.  We all can use more of that!  Finally, in verse 105, we see that the Bible will guide us in the way we should go:  "Your Word if a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

     Of course, Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm in the book but it is filled with treasures we can mine all day long if we take the time to read and meditate on it.  Actually, this is just one small sample of what God's Word can provide for us  in terms of the encouragement we need each day.  Yet, so many fail to make use of this book that can radically change our thinking and outlook.  We would not think of neglecting to take a shower, get dressed and brush our teeth before stepping out the door to go to work.  Why?  Because we know it is important for our health to take care of our bodies, but the same is true for our soul as well.  We can better withstand the darts of Satan if we go out the door prepared with the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.

     My dad enjoyed starting his day with an upbeat song, but we can improve on that by taking time to wash in the water of God's Word before stepping out the door.  His Word is a powerful weapon for tearing down the strongholds, lies and discouraging words of this world.  Lets use the truth and be light and salt in this world!  Selah!

No comments: