Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The Joy of Obedience

     Growing up on a farm presented me with many opportunities for lots of outdoor activities.  Most of them were fun, harmless and good physical exercise (eg. riding my bicycle, playing in the sprinkler) but there were other activities that often led to disastrous results.  My mother warned me countless times not to run full speed without keeping track of where I was going.  Personally, I thought she was being a spoil sport, but one day, I fell against our stone steps outside which left a gash near my left eyebrow.  This called for a set of stitches which certainly "spoiled my sport"!!!!  However, I did not learn my lesson as I once again assaulted my left eye with another gash by running full speed to the stairway and tripped.  Once again, I was headed for stitches near my left eye.  By this time, most of you would think I had learned my lesson, but no,  ever the daredevil, I decided to jump on a roll away bed mattress.  The frame was metal and my mother called out to me that I should not be doing that because I could fall.  Unfortunately, no sooner had she said that, I took a tumble and hit the metal frame next to my left eye once more creating a gash.  This time, we had to fetch the doctor off of the golf course to come and put stitches in the area.  To this day, I have three scars near my left eye as a reminder that I didn't listen to my mother.  Oh the pain I could have avoided had I only regarded her instruction.  The same is true for Christians in our walk with the Lord. 


     Too often, people think that the commandments of the Lord and His instruction in the Bible are antiquated, out of touch with the way people really live today or are burdensome.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  God's Word is the very foundation of our faith and a manual for how we should live before Him.  Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away."  Luke 21:33 tells us the same thing.  What God has established as His moral standards in both the Old Testament and New Testament remain as the foundation for the Christian church and individual believers. Again Jesus stated clearly:  "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;  I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.  Therefore, whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-19).  Indeed, Jesus kept all the Law perfectly during His walk among us and then, offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice to cover our sins.  Through Him, our sins are forgiven, we are set right with God, but we are called to, then,  live a holy life even as God is holy.  We do not have the option of doing away with "the Ten Commandments" or God's moral standards of conduct. These are given for our protection, our welfare and for God's glory in our dark culture.  When we choose to live in obedience to God, we have a joy that no one can steal from our hearts.

     King David in Psalm 19 declares the goodness of God's laws and standards.  Verses 7-11:  "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul;  the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.  More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb.  Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." Obviously, David saw the value of following in the Lord's path.  In obedience, he found joy, but likewise, when he sinned with Bathsheba, he tasted the painful consequences that followed.

     While some in our current culture want to play fast and loose with God's precepts and moral commands, we need to remember the admonition given by the Lord in the book of Revelations that we are not to add or take away from the Word (Rev. 22:18-19).  This caution goes along with several others that warn us not to add or take away from God's Word:  Deut. 4:2; 12:32;  and Prov. 30:5-6.  Our Lord loved us so much that He gave us a foundation for living in the Bible.  Then, to further demonstrate His love, He gave us His Son to seal a new covenant with us in His blood.  Therefore, we must respond by living to His glory.

     If I had listened to my mother's instructions, I would not have three scars around my left eye.  She did her best to warn me.  In the same way, we are given God's Word that we might experience joy in obedience and the privilege of glorifying Him in this world.  May we never take the Bible for granted or allow the culture, false teachers, or others to dilute the Word of truth that is given to bring us salvation and eternal life.  Search His Word, examine your life and live in obedience to God that you may have the abundant life He promised to all who believe.  Selah!

P.S.  A great book to study in regards to the Ten Commandments is Alistair Begg's "The Pathway to Freedom".  It is well worth your time to read this.  

No comments: