Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Remembering God's Goodness

     One of the joys of our family get togethers is when we sit around reminiscing about our past vacations. We have had our share of crazy events which at the time were not funny but now we can laugh at them.  This is always a highlight we look forward to and if someone comes in feeling a bit down, they don't leave that way after we have had a few good laughs.

     In much the same way, when we need a boost in our spiritual walk, we need to think about the many ways in which God has been good to us and heard our prayers.  David did this often in his Psalms.  Psalm 143:5-6 and 11 is a cry to God for help and deliverance:  "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands.  I spread out my hands to You; My soul longs for You like a thirsty land...Revive me, O Lord, for Your name's sake! For Your righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble."  From the tone of his words, we know that he has come to ask the Lord for help and deliverance.  While David is asking for assistance, he is not asking for a quick fix but simply, what to do next. The key to his confidence in the Lord is brought up in verse 5 "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works..."  There were many times in David's life when the Lord protected him from King Saul, Goliath of Gath, and even his own Son Absalom.  Plus the history of his people was filled with the great deliverance of God as He led His people through the wilderness and established them in the Promised Land.

     As well as recalling all the mighty deeds which the Lord has done for both David and his people, he stops to muse or think about the work of God's hands.  Creation is a beautiful thing to consider.  I find when I get down that taking a walk and looking at the birds, flowers and all the wonderful things our God has made always lifts my heart.  We all need to take time to meditate on the faithfulness, righteousness and the unchanging character of God.  Because of this, we can fully trust Him no matter what situation we face.

     David strengthens himself by recalling the past which then gives him a greater trust in God for the future.  He certainly knew this principle from the instructions given to the people in Deuteronomy 6:6-7: And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." God's Word from Old Testament through our New Testament is to be pondered on by all who believe so that, like David, we can recall the goodness of God when difficulties come our way.

     After reading through this Psalm and thinking especially about the verses above, I wrote out a list of blessings where God had been faithful to me in prayer when I had called upon His name.  As I read through it, I marveled at how God has guided and walked with me and our family through the years.  I couldn't help but smile and thank Him.  It was very much like the joy that comes during our family get togethers.  Let us all follow David's example of remembering God's goodness to us in all the circumstances of our life.  He doesn't change and we can count on Him each day in good times and bad.  May your day be richly blessed in His goodness!  Selah!

No comments: