Thursday, October 26, 2023

No Job is Unimportant

     


Going off to college, I had stars in my eyes.  Drama, public speaking, oral interpretation of literature, radio broadcasting and debating were areas that came easy to me in high school.  My goal was to become a teacher in the area of communications with a minor in English.  So when I started my college courses, I immediately tried out for theater productions.  Having done well in high school, I expected to get a substantial part on my first try.  When I learned that I had gotten a small part, I was disappointed.   

     At our cast meeting, our Theater Professor told us something I will never forget.  He said, “There are no small parts, only small actors.”  He emphasized how important every detail, every character and every line was to the whole production.  We were painting a picture through our drama.  After the meeting, I looked at things very differently and took his advice to heart giving my best effort to the part I had been assigned.  For Christians, we all would do well to remember that same advice when it comes to using our talents in serving the Lord.

     Every believer is given gifts by the Holy Spirit  to use for God’s glory.  Likewise the Lord has designed us in such a way to fulfill all the good works He has for us to do using our talents and abilities.  We have only to look into God’s Word to see a great example of this.  

     In Exodus Chapter 35 and verses 30-35, Moses describes two craftsmen that have the special qualifications to help in building the Tabernacle:  “Then Moses said to the people of Israel, ‘See, the Lord has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs to work in gold and silver and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, for work in every skilled craft.  And he has inspired him to teach, both him and Oholiab the son of Ahinamach of the tribe  of Dan.  He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver – by any sort of  workman or skilled designer.’”   Just as Moses pointed out, God had prepared Bezalel and Oholiab to carry out the intricate work of designing cloth and engravings for the Tabernacle.  

     Notice that it was God who had given these men great skill which He wanted them to use for His glory.  Prior to this time, we had never heard their names, but God knew them and the plan He had for their  lives in service to Him.  Just as our Savior took the five loaves and two fish multiplying them to feed the 5,000, so our God takes what skills we bring to Him and multiplies the blessings.

     Frequently, I hear people say that they do not have anything to offer the Lord.  They do not see that their job is important in His eyes.  So I would remind them as my college professor did that day:  There are no small jobs, only small faith and trust in our omnipotent God!  He is able to muliple the talents we bring to Him.

     Whether you are a baker, a butcher or a candlestick maker, God has you in a position where He can use you.  Never buy into the lies of the enemy that want you to believe that your job is unimportant.Remember that we are to do all to His glory.  In this, He is well pleased.  Selah! 

No comments: