Thursday, February 1, 2024

Being Renewed in the Spirit of the Mind


     Everyone needs refreshment and renewal in their lives whether traveling somewhere or just spending time with others, yet it is crucial in the spiritual realm as well. Ephesians 4:22-24 tells us: “...to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.”  This description in Scripture reminds me of my office desk at home which is cluttered beyond belief.  It needs attention in the same way our lives do which become cluttered with deceitful desires. We need a renewed mind, so how do we proceed?

     First, we need to open the Bible.  He knows what we need...a washing in the Word. Psalm 119:28 so beautifully tells us: “My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to Your Word.” When life has seemed to empty us of all emotion, we find the river of life on the pages of God’s Word. At a time when Jeremiah felt down and needed comfort, he cried out to God:  “Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.”  Consuming the Word, living in His Word and acting upon it leads us to the second way to refresh the spirit of our minds.

     Calling out to the Lord in prayer and making time for Him each day helps us wipe away the cobwebs of the world that gather. We are surrounded by


 deep unrest in our nation. Meditating on that only causes greater anxiety. In our home, we try NOT to watch much T.V. or the news. Instead we try to do things that will edify, and one of them is to pray. At those times when I do not know what to pray, I open the Psalms and pray through them.  There is a lot of healing in this exercise. I love how Jeremiah calls to mind God’s goodness in Lamentations 3:21-23: “But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Praying that Scripture helps to bring hope and renewal.  See how the Word and prayer are meant to work together?

     Finally, if we desire to be renewed in the spirit of our mind, we need fellowship. Whether it is in person, on the phone or through a letter, we all need outside contact. I enjoy praying with others over the phone when I get the chance. Of course, being together in church or a small group is also a blessing. We know that “iron sharpens iron” so as health permits and we are able to gather, the Lord will encourage us all the more as we see the day of His return drawing near.   So,  let us endeavor to put on the new self and be renewed in the spirit of our mind. This will please God and bring glory to His name!  Selah!

     

No comments: