Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Making Some Serious Changes

Serious change takes hard work as grandson
Aiden demonstrates in this picture.
     Why is it that we only want to make some serious changes when we are up against the wall?  Wouldn't it be easier to do it before we get in a bind?  I have had to ask myself these questions many times in my life as it seems I tend to do things the hard way.  I know I am not alone.  Over and over again in the Old Testament, the Lord called His chosen people a "stiff-necked and rebellious" nation.  I plead guilty to this.
The sin nature, though made toothless by the blood of Christ, is still lurking in my flesh and ready to spring into action if I allow it.
      All of us have areas of weakness and can easily succumb to temptation if we do not stand our guard as God has called us to do (I Peter 5:8).  Certainly, in my life, I had not been keeping watch very well.
I went to my routine physical in January knowing that I needed to lose weight.  I had been reminded over the years that my weight was creeping up slowly and with it would come all sorts of consequences.  I knew that, but I seemed to have NO power over my impulse to eat, or at least, I told myself that.
      Over the years, my cholesterol had gone up to a point where I needed medication.  Now my test results showed my blood pressure slowly becoming elevated and my blood sugar going up.  It was more than a little scary.  I knew that if I made no changes my health would suffer.  My doctor, once again, reminded me that I needed to take better care of myself and lose weight as well as having a certain diagnostic procedure done which I had been putting off as long as possible.
     I went home and prayed hard.  For many years, I had tried various diets which worked for a short time, but nothing seemed to stick.  I regained what I had lost and then some.  Likewise, I wasn't certain I could overcome my fear of this diagnostic procedure so I poured my heart out to the Lord.  God, always faithful to guide and teach us, brought to mind so many wonderful Scriptures:  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13); "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Heb. 13:5b); "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9b).  All of these and more flooded my mind.  As I searched for answers, I had peace that my steps would be directed.
Sometimes we need help from our friends or our
Daddy in order to make those changes.
      Since I knew that God does not move a parked car that has its parking brake on, I put myself into gear and stepped out in faith to make an appointment to get the diagnostic procedure done.  With prayer, encouragement from fellow believers, and faith in the One who made me, I went through with the medical procedure.  I also decided to actively pursue a diet regimen and joined an online program that has had high marks for years.  Not a fad program but one that is sound.   I knew it would take a commitment, a decision, no going back, a change for life in order to succeed.  To date, I have lost fifteen pounds with many more to go in order to improve my health.  Already, I feel better and much more fit than even a month ago.  To God alone be all the glory in this success for He has guided me on this path.
       Sharing this, I do not mean to put the spotlight on me.  My purpose is to encourage you to step out in faith, take off the parking brake, and make a decision to trust God for changes in your life that you know you need to make.  Coming to Christ requires a decision to commit your life to Him.  Walking in the Spirit each day takes a concerted effort on our part not to give in to the old sin nature when circumstances get rocky.  Serious change comes when we decide to step out in faith and trust ourselves to God to walk us through the necessary process to bring the results desired.  Please do not wait until things are ready to boil over as I did with my health.  Address them now and seek God's help in His Word and through prayer.  Take the hand of fellow believers for accountability and encouragement.  There is no problem or temptation that cannot be overcome with the help of Jesus Christ our Lord and a decision to follow His wisdom and guidance.
       I am grateful both to God and my fellow believers who have walked with me through this process and daily lift me up in prayer.  Change is hard, but the consequences of not changing can be far worse.  Whether you are dealing with health issues, such as I was, or others (financial, marital, job related),  I encourage you to seek the Lord in prayer, and then, be willing to follow His guidance.  He WILL NEVER leave you nor forsake you.  May your day be crowned with victory in Christ!  Soli Deo Gloria! Selah.
The results of hard work are worth the effort in the end.
To God be the glory alone!


I welcome your thoughts and comments.  Please feel free to leave them.

2 comments:

Pam Williams said...

So proud of you, Barbara. Those are not easy changes you have committed to, but definitely healthy ones. Praying God's blessings on your efforts.

A View From Serenity Acres said...

Thank you Pam. To God be the glory! He is the one helping me daily with these changes. I appreciate your prayers....and your encouragement. May God help each of us make the changes we need to stay close to Him! Blessings to you my friend!