Monday, November 26, 2012

More Than an Heirloom

Thanksgiving 2012
     On the day following our Thanksgiving celebration, I lay down to take a nap tired from all the festivities.  Our house was deafeningly quiet after having eight adults and seven precious grandchildren (ages 5 on down) in our home.  Maybe this is why I had trouble falling asleep.  My mind wandered to days gone by and all the Thanksgiving celebrations of long ago.  I found myself teary eyed as I thought about my parents and my in-laws now long gone who made the holidays so special for our family.  Yet, through the blurry eyes, I found myself smiling as I remembered the precious times we shared together.  It is good to remember.  In fact, the Bible speaks often of remembering and never forgetting what God has done for His people or the commandments He gave to them.
     In Deuteronomy 6, the people were instructed to teach the Law of God to their children.  Verse 7 reads:  “You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”  God did not want His people to forget.  Later in this chapter, we read (verses10-12):  “And when the Lord your God brings you into the land that He swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give you – with great and good cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and cisterns that you did not dig, and vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant – and when you eat and are full, then take care lest  you forget the Lord, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.”
     Throughout this passage, the people were encouraged to remember that all they had was a result of God’s goodness to them.  They were to meditate on His Word, obey His Laws, and be a thankful people.  This is important for us to remember because sometimes we forget Jesus and all He has done for us to bring about our freedom from sin.  Somewhere amidst all the wrapping paper, shopping till we drop, and get-togethers, we forget the real reason for the season just as the Children of Israel did.  It is easy to do.
     As I was decorating today and setting up my manger scene, a song came drifting back in my memory.  It was a song I had sung many years ago for a Christmas celebration entitled “Heirlooms” written by Amy Grant, Brown Bannister, and Bob Farrell.  The words are as follows:
           “Up in the attic,
             Down on my knees,
             Lifetimes of boxes,
             Timeless to me,
             Letters and photographs,
             Yellowed with years,
             Some bringing laughter,
             Some bringing tears.

             Time never changes,
             The memories, the faces
             Of loved ones, who bring to me,
            All that I come from,
            And all that I live for,
            And all that I’m going to be.
            My precious family
            Is more than an heirloom to me.

            Wisemen and shepherds,
             Down on their knees,
             Bringing their treasures
             To lay at His feet.
             Who was this wonder,
             Baby yet King?
             Living and dying
             He gave life to me.

             Time never changes,
             The memory, the moment
             His love first pierced through me,
             Telling all that I come from,
             And all that I live for,
             And all that I’m going to be.
             My precious Savior
             Is more than an heirloom to me. “

     Our Lord should be more than an heirloom that we trot out at Christmas and Easter.  He is the Lord of life, and we must never forget that He was born into this world to die for our sins that we might live for Him.  Daily our lives should be a testimony to  His love and grace.  My prayer is that He will always be more than an heirloom in our lives!   To Him alone be the honor and the glory, Amen.                

No comments: