Friday, April 5, 2013

When God Has Other Plans

   
 There have been many occasions in my life when I have had definite plans, expectations and goals.  However, God had other ideas for me, and some of those things went by the wayside.  At times, it was painful to face the fact that God didn’t choose to do things my way, but eventually, I saw His perfect wisdom displayed in the out workings of my life.  He used both the good and bad times to build in me a deeper walk with Him.

     I was reminded of this when I spoke with a friend several days ago who told me about her daughter who had an ordinarily fatal disease when she was born.  The doctors told her that her little girl would probably only live to be seventeen years old.  However, she had an abiding faith in God.  No, things were not easy, but today this little girl has grown to be 35 years old with two children of her own.  She beat all the odds and the doctors were amazed.  This friend attributed this miraculous life to God’s complete sovereignty over things.  I was encouraged by her story and always amazed at what the Lord does in our lives.

     Many of you reading this are polio survivors as I am.  We were told we probably wouldn’t live or ever walk again.  Yet, we are here for God’s glory and His purpose.  I am so glad that my own parents never gave up on me or on the hope that I would survive.  They believed that God had other plans for me.

     Life is never simple or easy to understand.  Many things take place that hurt, are unjust or even mysterious.  Nevertheless, God is still the ruler of all things, and each day, He unwraps a new portion of the gift of life for us so we might better marvel at His power and glory.  His purpose and ways are often hard for us to see or understand, but His direction for us is sure as found in His Word.  Read Titus 2:11-14:  “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession who are zealous for good works.”

     Through the circumstances of our lives, God is perfecting His people and teaching us to trust in Him with heart, soul and mind.  As Rick Warren says in his best selling book “The Purpose Driven Life”, “It is not about you…it is all about God.”  We can further conclude that it isn’t about OUR plans…it IS about His story and the role He has for us.  I confess that at times I do not understand the things that have come my way, but I know that all which has come has passed first through the Heavenly Father’s Hands before it has come to me.

     No matter what things happen to us today, we need to remember that God’s plan is perfect.  His judgments are just.  He is all knowing, all loving, and He sees the big picture.  He calls upon us to live in a trust relationship with Him day to day so that fear has no place in our lives.  May we strive to glorify Him even when He has other plans that do not match up with ours!  Selah!

Has God ever changed your plans in some way through sickness, trial or circumstance?  If so, how did you find God's purpose in it?  I would love for you to share.

No comments: