Wednesday, July 10, 2013

When Life Becomes Tangled

Our beautiful daughter Jordan with her son Gavin and
daughter Rilyn
     There are times in our life when problems seem to entangle us.  Often, we wonder which way to turn.  Who should we consult?  Who do we turn to?  Unfortunately, our natural tendency is to rely upon ourselves rather than seeking wise counsel from an expert.
     As an example of this, I am reminded of a time many years ago when our daughter got a brush entangled in her long hair.  She must have worked for over an hour and finally came to me in tears.  I took over certain I could free her hair but to no avail.  After another hour of trying, I resorted to calling my beautician.  I felt if anyone could help us out perhaps she could.
     She worked on her hair for nearly 45 minutes before she was able to free my daughter's hair,  She asked me why I had waited so long before coming to her.  She said that all our effort had only caused the brush to get more tangled.  I felt silly when I considered what she said.  Why had I waited so long before getting help?
     As Christians, we often do not bring our problems to the first place we should go - God!  Often He is the last resort as we try to take charge over our life situations.  Take a moment to read Psalm 8.
     If we key in on verses 3 through 5 of this Psalm, we read these words:  "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?  For You have made him a little lower than the angels and You have crowned him with glory and honor."  These are such words of encouragement.
     When we consider all that God has done for us, why then, do we wait until the very last moment to
turn to Him?  He has given us dominion over all the earth as the Psalm goes on to say.  Therefore, He will enable us when we don't know what to do, but we have to turn it over to Him.  He, our Great Creator God, will supply our needs if we will ask.  Why?  Because we are valuable to Him!  Jesus said in Luke 12:6-7:  "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?  Yet, not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."
     When we are plagued with troubles and uncertainties, all we have to do is turn to our Father.  Our worth and significance as a person are found in Christ and so are the solutions to life's dilemmas.  Instead of waiting until the last minute to turn to God for help, lets take the tangles of life to Him.  He will free us.  In Him, we have wisdom, power, understanding, guidance and most importantly, salvation.  Selah!

How has God worked in your life to free you from the tangles that come our way?  I welcome your thoughts.  Blessings!

No comments: