Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Psalm That Will Not Let Me Go

       In church this past Sunday, we read Psalm 121, and my heart was captured by these words of comfort.  It is a Psalm that will not let me go.  I find myself meditating on it and reading it over and over.  There is so much assurance in the words, and in our fast paced world, we get little encouragement.  Instead, we are often bombarded by tragedies brought to our homes in living color via T.V. or internet.  Then there are unkind words, rude individuals, and daily temptations so that by the end of the week, we feel worn out and stressed.  This is where God's Word comes in.  It is our foundation and the voice of truth in a world of lies.
     As we look at this Psalm, we need to understand that it is called a Psalm of Ascent.  It was sung by pilgrims on their way to Mount Zion in Jerusalem to worship the One true God.  In the same way, we are modern day pilgrims on our journey through this life as we seek to reach our heavenly home.  Read this Psalm:
    " I lift up my eyes to the hills.
     From where does my help come?
     My help comes from the Lord
      who made heaven and earth.
     He will not let your foot be moved;
       he who keeps you will not slumber,
     Behold He who keeps Israel
       will neither slumber nor sleep.
     The Lord is your keeper;
       the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
      The sun shall not strike you by day,
        nor the moon by night.
      The Lord will keep you from all evil;
        He will keep your life.
      The Lord will keep
         your going out and your coming in
         from this time forth and forevermore."
     In this short Psalm, there are three great truths we can learn.  First, when we are walking along life's path day to day, we can rest assured that God is our help.  He tells us so in verse 1-2.  The very Creator of the Universe has made known to us that He will provide what we need along the road.  Secondly, God is a provider of safety and rest.  Life has slippery slopes and we cannot always keep our footing, but God can.  He also does not sleep or slumber so that we can rest in peace at night.  We have no need to worry, fret or be afraid at night because God is our protection.  Finally, God lets us know that He is our keeper who will deliver us from evil and protect our lives.  It is a promise that goes on forevermore.  This whole Psalm is like a love letter from the Lord and a comfort to anxious souls.
     When I was a little girl, I was certain there were monsters under my bed or in my closet that would come out at night and steal me away.  My older sister used to play into my fears and assure me that this would happen.  However, our wise and faithful mother would come into my room, gently stroke my face, and remind me that God would stand guard all night because He never sleeps.  I could not understand why God did not need to sleep but I trusted the words of my mother that He would watch over me and He has.  He will do the same for all who call upon His name through the blood of Jesus Christ.
     Maybe you need a little roadside rest stop along your journey today.  If so, meditate on this Psalm and it will bring you encouragement, peace and rest.  Remember God keeps His promises; therefore, we can lean on Him when the way seems hard.  Selah!

No comments: