Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mercy Drops


   There is an old hymn written in 1883 by Daniel Whittle entitled "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing".  The words to the first verse and the refrain go like this:
                                  There shall be showers of blessing:
                                  This is the promise of love;
                                  There shall be seasons refreshing,
                                  Sent from the Savior above.
                                              Refrain:
                                  Showers of blessing,
                                  Showers of blessing we need:
                                  Mercy-drops round us are falling,
                                  But for the showers we plead.
      I was reminded of this hymn today as I thought about all the little kindnesses God has shone to us through our friends, church family and others.  I call them "mercy drops".  Daily God has been sending me mercy drops during this time of heartache that lift my spirit and remind me that God works all things together for good to those who love Him.
     For example, yesterday at work, we had a patient come in bringing her beautiful little girl who was two years old.  Her husband watched after the little girl and while I was working in the optical, the little girl ran up and hugged me like I was her grandmother.  I was surprised, touched and then, realized that God was giving me a "mercy drop".  I needed that little hug from a child.
     On another occasion, someone came to our office and spent a few minutes just talking to me and asking questions.  They patiently listened as I discussed the death of our grandson.  I needed that relief of being able to share my heart.  A while later, the lady's husband came in and brought a flower to me from their family.  Once again, a mercy drop had fallen on my heart.
     When I told one of our pastors about God's great grace during this time of trouble and how He brought something to me every day that gave me peace he told me not to be afraid to ask God for this each day.  He said that I needed to ask the Lord to make it clear for me to recognize.  Now I live in expectation to see what God will bring along each day as a way of giving me a holy hug.
      Opening the Scriptures today to Psalms, I once again find the comfort and "mercy drops" I need to make it through this time.  Psalm 34:18-19 reads:  "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all."  Indeed, this is a time of heavy hearts but knowing that God will deliver us and work through all that has happened keeps me moving forward each day.  Another Psalm with similar wording is 147:3:  "He heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds."  This is a great picture of the shepherd cleaning the wounds of his sheep.  Our Lord is there to take the sting out of the pain which the enemy of our souls inflicts.  Then, He binds up our wounds and applies the healing balm of Jesus Christ to our lives.  For we know that our sure hope is that one day there will be no more pain, suffering, death, tears or loss (Rev. 21:3-4).  This is the greatest "mercy drop" God could ever splash upon our hearts.
     Rick Warren said:  "Your most profound and intimate experiences of worship will likely be in your darkest days – when your heart is broken, when you feel abandoned, when your out of options, when the pain is great – and you turn to God alone."  No truer words have ever been spoken.  Daily God is providing "mercy drops" to soothe my heart and He will do the same for all who lean on Him in total dependence.  We all must remember that He is the one who brings showers of blessings to refresh our souls and provides "mercy drops" just when we need them.  Selah!


Photo by audreyjm529 at Wiki Commons
   

No comments: