Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Looking into a Different Mirror

     Each morning when I rise, I walk into our bathroom and observe, bleary-eyed my appearance in the mirror.  As I begin to get ready for work, I find this looking glass helpful as I fix my hair, put on make-up and get myself dressed.  It is the only way I can see what I look like.  However, when I complete my preparations and walk away, I soon forget how I looked that day until I once again look at my reflection.  This is helpful because we never know if we have smudged something on our face, our clothing or if our hair is out of place until we look at ourselves in a mirror.  The same is true of a mirror that looks far deeper than our outward appearance only.
     Hebrews 4:12-13 reads: " For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."  This is the mirror of God's Word at work looking deep into our hearts.  Each time we open its pages to read, we find not only who God is but we also find ourselves.  The Bible serves to show us our sin that we might repent, and teach us God's Laws that we might live in obedience.  Its precision at reaching deep within us is amazing.
     As believers, we find the Bible a light to our path and strength during the storms of life.  Psalm 119: 104 and 105 tell us:  "Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  When we peer into the Word, it acts like a mirror showing us our sin.  We gain understanding and learn to hate what is evil, but it also serves as a light for our path.  When life grows dark through death, depression, or illness, God's Word sheds light and comfort on our way.
     Furthermore, in his letter to the Corinthians (2 Corinthians 13:5), the Apostle Paul challenges believers to examine ourselves.  "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!"  How can we really look at ourselves apart from the mirror of God's Word? What are God's standards?  Do we meet the test?  Only the Holy Spirit can show us this as we look deeply into the Bible.
     Our very foundation for our faith is the Bible.  We, as Christians, believe it is the inerrant Word of God passed down to us.  Paul tells Timothy:  "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.." (2 Tim. 3:16).  If we want to see how we look before our heavenly Father, this is the place to get the clearest reflection.
     Now think with me for a moment, what would you or I look like if we decided not to use a mirror or any reflective device to prepare for work or some event?  I think it would be  a challenge for men to shave and for women to put on make-up with any great success.  We might be able to do a passable job, but don't we want to look our very best?  The same applies to our spiritual life.  Do we really want to grow, have the mind of Christ and glorify God?  It is very hard to do any of this without looking into God's Word on a regular basis.  As we pray, read the Bible and hear the preaching of His Word, we will be preparing our hearts daily to serve Him.  Let us be found faithful in this area that we might glorify the Lord.  Selah!

No comments: