Wednesday, August 28, 2019

It is More Blessed to Give Than to Receive

       For years, I have heard people tell me that they went to comfort someone in the hospital and instead, they received the greater blessing.  I am totally convinced that this is what happens when we give ourselves away without expecting anything in return.  Whether it is time, finances, or actual labor of some sort, there is a satisfaction that comes from serving others.
       At my daughter-in-law's suggestion, I started volunteering at the elementary school where two of our grandsons attend.  I meet with them both to enjoy lunch and then go assist the teacher in one of their classrooms.  My only purpose is to fellowship with them and be of help to a teacher with the extra paperwork she has in abundance.  Both years have brought joy to my heart.  Having been trained to be a teacher and having taught our own children for 21 years, I was left with

a void for me when the job was done.  Now retired, I have the time to put my education to further use.  Today, for example, the teacher I assist asked if I would lead a group reading session where we would discuss what we had just read.  We laughed at the funny story, talked about why things happened as they did and generally loved the time we spent together.  Seeing a light go on in the eyes of a child makes every moment worth it.
      In the book of Acts, Luke recorded the Apostle Paul's farewell to the elders at the church of Ephesus (Acts 20:34-35):  "…34You yourselves know that these hands of mine have ministered to my own needs and those of my companions. 35In everything, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus Himself: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”  Paul wanted to encourage these believers to pursue the same type of approach in helping one another even as the Lord had said.  Of course, the key is doing things with a pure motive and not with an eye to build favor or acclaim for ourselves.  There are three great reasons  why giving is so much better than receiving.
     First, we can never out give God.  He is our source for the many blessings we have in this life.  Proverbs 11:25 tells us:  "The generous soul will be made rich, and he who waters will also be watered himself."  When we give out to others from the abundance that we have, God will continue to fill us up.  We may not have a lot of money, but we may have the time to write a note to someone or visit the sick.  If we give of ourselves, God will continue to fill us up so that we can continue to bless others.
     Secondly, God wants us to be an avenue to bless others.  We are the hands and the feet of Jesus to those around us. Being in an elementary classroom for me is a chance to assist a teacher with anything she might need to have done and to encourage children to learn.  I can pass on the love of God by simply serving others.
     Finally, the more we give ourselves away, the more we receive in return.  I am not speaking of money here but of the rich blessings that can only come through God.  After class today,  I received many hugs from the young students that I had a chance to work with.  They thanked me for coming and helping them.  Now that is a paycheck of the heart!  What a joy to see their smiles.  In addition, I overheard the teacher saying she had never had a volunteer in her classroom.  That surprised me because there are so many children with so many different needs.  Being a teacher is a challenge and it blessed me to know I could be an extra pair of hands to help.
       We have been put here on earth to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever according to The Westminster Catechism.  By serving our fellow man out of love, we bring glory to God and have a chance to tell others the Good News of salvation through Christ.  Jesus said it well when he admonished his disciples in Matthew 6:19-21:  "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Think on this and see where the Lord would have you serve others.  There is a greater blessing than you can ever imagine awaiting you.  Selah!
   

No comments: