Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Just What the Doctor Ordered

     Have you ever picked up a book and it seems like every page has been written just for you?  Or what about the Sunday Sermon where it seems as though the pastor has been reading your mail?  Those are not just coincidences in the life of a Christian.  I know without a doubt that it is the providence of the Lord who made us and knows us better than we know ourselves.  For these tender mercies, I will forever praise Him.
     Each of us go through circumstances, heartaches, loss and illness at various times in our lives which tend to strip us of any reserve strength we might have had, and when this happens, it is often hard to read the Bible, pray or even fellowship with others.  I watched my own mother struggle with this in her life.  She loved children and two years after having me she lost a precious little girl named Rebecca
Hess.  She only lived for six hours as there were no special life saving measures at that time.  It sent my mother into a deep depression requiring some hospitalization in order to recover.  When she came home, she took long walks and every night she read the Psalms.  This is what came to bring her healing.  She passed this practice along to me as a means to calm my soul when life got tough.
     Over the years, I, too, have had my struggles with depression/anxiety.  It comes at times quite unbidden where there are no unhappy circumstances that stir it up, though I have had my share of them.  Besides a hereditary factor or chemical imbalance, no one but the Lord knows why this occurs as it does; still His purposes even in the darkest hours, are worked for my good and His glory.  I know that I am not alone either.  Charles Spurgeon, Martin Luther, and even C.S. Lewis suffered from depression.  Thankfully today, we can talk about this more openly and there are many more medications available to assist in recovery.  So when I purchased the book "Psalms for Trials" by Lindsey Tollefson about a year ago, little did I realize how much it would mean for me.
     Within its pages are helpful meditations on praying the Psalms.  This is something I have done for many years thanks to my mother, but the meditations are filled with soothing words of truth that a hurting heart needs to read.  For example, on page 79, she writes:  "Negativity is like an old comfortable shoe.  It is easy to throw it on without even thinking.  We have to engage in an active fight against worry, fear, and any other negative thoughts about the future."  She is simple and direct and then points to the Psalms for the comfort found only in the Lord.  Every day, I tell my husband that she wrote every word for me.
     I am convinced that the fast pace of living, instant news availability (often negative), caregiving a loved one, excessive stress, grief over the loss of a loved one, PTSD as a result of military service or some other trauma all contribute to both depression and anxiety.  It is also a spiritual battle for which the Christian is well equipped with the help of compassionate friends, God's Word and lots of prayer. But make no mistake....it is a battle.  The Enemy of our soul likes to fill our minds with negative thoughts and doubts.  This is when we need to make certain we are wearing the full armor of God that
keeps us from the fiery darts of the wicked one.  He is a Liar and the Father of lies, but our hope is in the truth of God's Word.
      If anyone reading this today needs a lift for their spirit, I would encourage you to buy this book and start praying the Psalms daily.  There are even resources available online for singing the Psalms if this is something more to your liking.  The key is to put on the new man in Christ each day and renew your mind by filling it with the Word.  I always welcome your thoughts and comments. May the God of all encouragement bless each one reading this today and always!  Selah!

No comments: