Thursday, January 18, 2024

In Good Hands

      Whenever we contemplate surgery, we want to be certain we have the very best doctor for the job.  We have all seen those silly commercials where a patient asks the nurse about how good his doctor is.  She replies that he is “Okay”.  Then when the doctor comes in the room he asks the patient if he is scared to which the patient says he is.  The doctor says he is too but they will figure it out.  The commercial ends with “Just okay, is not okay.”  We all get the point.  We want the best person for the job.

     Planning to have knee replacement I wanted a doctor who was experienced and had great results.  I found such a


physician and went ahead with surgery. Replacing a knee is no small task and recuperation is not quick and pain free.  However, the results allowed me to have a better quality of life in the end.  In the meantime, I worked with my therapist doing exercises that made me wince thinking ahead of the times I would be able to walk without pain. I had to keep that goal firmly fixed in my mind so I didn't give up.

     In much the same way, when we come to Christ, we have just had major surgery...a heart transplant. God takes our heart of stone and replaces it with a heart of flesh that can know Him and love as He loves. This is a surgery that only the “Great Physician” can do as recorded in Ezekiel 11:19:  “And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them.  I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh,”.... Through the blood of Christ, God changes our hearts.  When we repent, He gives us a whole new way of living life..a fresh start. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us:  “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. However, now comes the hard part.

     We have just been through major surgery at the hands of our loving God. We have a new heart, but we now need to learn to live a new way with a new mindset.  At times, this new life will challenge us and we may wince just as I do during my rehab.  Being born with a sin nature means it will take time to throw off the old habits that want to keep us bound to our past.  Praise God, He gives us the blessed Holy Spirit to live and dwell within us as our teacher and guide.  The more we pray, seek God in His Word and fellowship with other believers, the quicker we will grow strong in Christ.  This is our goal, our high calling in Him and we must not lose sight of it.

     Paul reminds us that the runner runs to win.  He trains and perseveres so he might win a perishable crown, but we are running for one that is imperishable. Just as with my rehab, if I did the exercises, I had a better outcome from surgery.  It is not fun to do or pain free, but neither is the Christian life.  Oh there are the great, glorious times but there are also the moments of hardship when we think we should just quit. The devil is all too happy to remind us of our shortcomings too.  Yet, we are more than conquerors in Christ, and we must remember this encouragement as we prepare to meet our Savior face to face one day. Our temporary trials are nothing compared to the weight of glory that awaits those who press on daily.  Let us remember that God who gave us a new heart will help us every step of the way because we are in the best hands!  Selah! 

No comments: