Thursday, June 17, 2021

Learning to Listen

      When I was growing up, I was the talker in the family.  I had a Great Aunt who thought I would certainly become a missionary as I loved talking about God.  Other family members thought I would follow in my Grandfather's footsteps and become an attorney.  Neither prediction came to pass, but my love of public speaking led to a major in communications in college.  Oral interpretation of literature, theater, public speaking, radio, and debate became my focus as I prepared to become a teacher.  Yet, for all my preparation, the most important part of communicating with others is being a good listener as well.  So, when I had the chance to babysit my granddaughter the other day, I put this into practice.


     Typically, when her siblings are around (she is the youngest), she tends to be quiet, but when I asked her about her activities, she opened up in the most delightful way.  We looked at shells in her room that she had collected at the beach.  We talked over lunch about family and what it was like when I was growing up.  When I told her I never liked having my picture taken as a little girl, she responded that I must be shy like she is.  What little nuggets of sweet information I learned that day all because I asked her questions.  

     Unfortunately, we do not always realize that communicating with one another is a two way street.  We need to develop the ability to listen to others.  Throughout Scripture, we are admonished to watch our words and know when to speak and when to be silent.  Ephesians 4:29 tells us:  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."  Then in Matthew 12:36-37, we read:  "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”  In both of these verses, we are forewarned to be cautious in how and when we speak.  The tongue can be powerful in building up or tearing down.  Someone wisely said "That's why we have one mouth and two ears so we can listen more than speak."  The Apostle James would agree with that statement.  He writes:  "19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" (James 1:19).

     When we take time to listen to others, we have a chance to really get to know them.  We show respect and value for another when we allow them to share.  I think we have all been in a situation where someone in a group dominates the conversation to the exclusion of others. After a while, it becomes monotonous.  Proverbs 17:28 clearly tells us:  "Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent."  Solomon never worried about being "politically correct" but he drove home the point that there is a time and place to be silent.

     Our Lord Jesus Christ set a perfect example for us in communicating with others.  He would ask questions to draw people out.  He had time for children, the sick and those whom society had rejected.  A great example of a productive conversation occurs in the story of the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:1-42).  Not only did the Lord engage this woman in conversation, but He also showed Himself to be the Messiah.  He allowed her to speak, ask questions and thereby, opened the lines of communication.  She felt valued and known for the first time.  The conversation opened her heart to the truth of God's love.  Do we now see the value of listening to others? 

     As believers, we are to bear witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ by being salt and light.  Our time of conversing with others is important because it gives us and opportunity to share the Gospel after listening to their story.  I know I learned a lot about our precious granddaughter  as we spent time together by simply asking questions and allowing her a chance to talk.  May God help us learn to balance our time with others even as Jesus did so that we may have an opportunity to tell them the Good News of salvation and affirm their value in God's eyes through listening.  Selah!

No comments: