Wednesday, June 2, 2021

When We Need Assurance

     During a family get together, one of our grandson's received a reprimand from his father.  He was embarrassed and sorry for his disobedience.  He began to cry as he was instructed to sit on a couch for a time out.  Since I was sitting close by, I encouraged him to come and sit on the love seat with me.  I gave him a hug and told him that everything would turn out okay because his father loved him so very much.  He said it didn't feel like his dad loved him, but I reassured him that this was not the case at all.  I told him that a good father corrects his children to keep them from getting hurt or hurting others.  Even God disciplines us when we step out of line, but He never stops loving us.  His tears subsided, and he calmed down seeming to understand what I was telling him.

     As I recalled this precious time with my grandson, I got to thinking about the many times when I wondered if God could still love me after I had been disobedient.  I believe many of us have those moments of self doubt that rise up in our lives.  I've even heard people tell me that they could never return to church again because they had walked so far away from God that He would not want them back.  The Good News tells us that this is a lie from the devil.  We can be assured of God's unfailing love towards us.  Scripture confirms this in I John 3:19-24 (ESV):  "By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before Him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart; and He knows everything.  Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do what pleases Him.  And this is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as He has commanded us.  Whoever keeps His commandments  abides in God and God in him. And by this we know He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us."  I love the phrase "whenever our heart condemns us" because there are times when we feel like we have messed up or missed the boat.  Yet God has sealed us by His Spirit.  All we need to do is repent if we have sinned, and He welcomes us again with open arms (I John 1:9).

     God calls us to believe, love and obey Him.  This is the mark of true salvation according to this epistle.  By the Holy Spirit, we are sealed for rede
mption.  God has promised to never leave us or forsake us.  We are secure in His love for He has chosen us from before the foundation of the world to be His children.  Jesus said in John 10:27-28:  " 27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. " What a great promise for believers!  We do not lose our relationship with God when we sin.  However, like our grandson, we sometimes must face the consequences of our actions, but God does not cast us out.

     Resting in this assurance should give us great joy, and the Apostle John confirms it in his epistle.  How comforting for us when we have those times of self doubt and we ask if we are really saved!  Like Jesus, we can cry out "Abba Father" at any time.  May this encourage us all today as we meditate on this good word from the Lord!  Selah!

No comments: