Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Be Careful How You Handle a Sword

      When it comes to kitchen skills, I am good with anything that is not sharp.  Somehow, whenever I handle a knife (whether dull or very sharp), I always manage to cut myself.  This has been true over the nearly fifty years we have been married.  I attempt to be careful but my hands just don't always cooperate.

     Growing up, I remember watching my mother peel potatoes at lightening speed, and my sister was equally gifted.  However, when it came to me, I was given the safety potato peeler and even then, I managed to cut off a finger nail too.  I believe the problem is that I get into a hurry and that is never a good thing when handling sharp objects.  This applies to the Sword of the Spirit as well which is the Word of God.

     Scripture tells us in 2 Timothy 2:15:  "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth."  Paul admonished young Timothy to be careful how he handled the Word of God in his ministry.  Like a sword in the hand of a warrior, the Word is meant to be a weapon against the arguments of this world system.  In fact, we are told of its value in the


chapter that follows (2 Timothy 3:16): "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness...."  

     In addition, the Bible is a valuable defense against all the flaming darts of the enemy.  What did Satan do when he tempted Jesus in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11)?  He came at Him with temptations, but Jesus wisely answered with Scripture speaking the truth to the lies of His enemy.  Eventually Satan left Him, and he will leave us alone too if we learn to handle the Word of God accurately.  Yet, I wonder....how many of us can accurately and effectively wield the Sword of the Spirit?  It is the weapon given us by God to defend our faith and tear down strongholds (Ephesians 6:17).  No good soldier goes into battle unarmed, so why are many Christians today struggling to fight off temptation and ideas that are contrary to the Word of God?  Could it be that we are not honing our weapon enough?  By that, I mean we may not be reading God's Word on a regular, daily basis.

     Soldiers train long and hard before they go into the field of combat.  It's important they know how to handle their weapons and wear their protective gear.  In the same way, we need to study the Bible so that when the day comes that we are tempted, we are able to stand firm on the Word.  Hebrews 4:12 tells us just how powerful the Sword of the Spirit is:  "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  As we read the Bible, it shows us not only our sins, but it shows us God's character and love for us.  In its pages, we come to know the truth that will set us free from the lies of this world system.  

     As for me and kitchen knives, I have learned to slow down and watch more carefully what I am doing.  I am not perfect, but I am improving.  I am also working on handling God's Word with care as well.  As a Christian believer, I want to be able to handle the Sword of the Spirit in a manner that will bring glory to God.  Therefore, I read it daily and aim to study it for in it, lies the truth.  What about you?  Don't neglect this powerful weapon of God's truth which is your defense against the enemy of your soul.  Selah!

No comments: