Friday, July 16, 2021

Stress and Anxiety Do Not Have to Win

      Far too many people, including myself, have stress and anxiety that knocks at our door all too often.  While I have read a number of books on the issue, I recently ran across one that was a rich blessing to me written by Todd Friel, the host of Wretched Radio and Wretched T.V.  The title is "Stressed Out:  A Practical, Biblical Approach to Anxiety".   I cannot remember where I heard about this book, but I decided to check it out and it is worth the read.

      In his 206 pages, the author lays out what anxiety is and how as a Christian we need to face and deal with this issue of worry.  However, he does not give advice nor is this a self help format but rather, it is a biblical walk through the Bible on what God says concerning anxiety.  Every chapter confronts us with what the Lord has told us about anxiety.  Section 1 deals with our issues, thinking and our God.  Then, in Section two, Todd Friel covers the areas that should relieve all our anxieties based on the Bible promises we have been given.  Finally, in Section three, we are challenged to make a goal for ourselves and a plan to defeat this enemy that destroys our trust in God.


     As I read through the book, I could see how much my mind needs to be transformed as Scripture tells us in Romans 12:2:  "2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God."  The problem is we have so much input from the world on a daily basis that we crowd out the positive, healing Word of God.  The best part is knowing that I am not alone.  Many struggle with the issues of worry, anxiety and stress in our "moving too fast" world.

     Throughout the pages, Todd Friel points to Jesus Christ as our high priest who understands and has been tempted in all the same ways we have been; yet, He did not fall into sin.  Instead. Jesus shows us the way even as He did His disciples in his last discourse with them (John 15-16).  He tried to calm them and let them know what lay ahead as He readied to face the cross.  All we need to do is read the high priestly prayer that Jesus made on our behalf in John 17 to know that He cares for us.  

     There are 12 anxiety relievers discussed in Section Two of the book which come from the Lord Jesus Christ.  By reading through these, I came to realize how I could replace my anxious thoughts with hopeful, positive thoughts based on Scripture.  It was eye opening and revealed to me where I have missed the boat in understanding the whole issue of anxiety.  As I said, this is not your ordinary self-help book.  Instead, I left reading it with a whole new outlook and plan of attack on dealing with this troublesome area in my life.  This is why I so highly recommend taking the time to read it.

     With all the pressure from jobs, children, and the world around us, we need to refocus our attention not only on God but on His Word.  There are answers to the things which trouble us when we look in the right place.  So, if you, like me, have been riding the roller coaster of anxiety, this book will open your eyes as it has mine.  Selah!


The book is available on Amazon also in Kindle format.

No comments: