Friday, September 9, 2011

Our Last Adventure in Zurich

With our trip to Mt. Pilatus on Monday, I confess I was too tired to even share until now about our last adventure in Zurich. Once again, we boarded a tour bus on Tuesday, September 6th for a tour of the city and surrounding area. It is amazing how much we had a chance to see during this four hour travel around the community.
There are many old historic buildings in Zurich and we stopped at the Church of St. Peter's to examine its beauty. Many of the places we toured do not allow many pictures as was the case here. The church was at one time a convent but later became a Reformed church during the Reformation era. Remarkable stained glass windows, high arched ceilings and a magnificent pipe organ were part of this old church. One feature that made it stand out in the city was the huge clock on the steeple which resounded around the community at each hour. It is the largest clock on a steeple in Europe.
After leaving this stop, we moved on to make a trip to Felsenegg a location reached by a gondola high over the city. Once we arrived, we walked to a restaurant perched high on the peak from which we could view not only the city but also other mountains of the Alps. We enjoyed a warm Apple Strudel and then, we began a walk back up to the gondola. It was a steep incline so we took our time heading back. It was a clear, sunny day and the cool air felt so good.
Upon returning to the bottom of the hill, we took the bus to a ferry to cross Lake Zurich. I have never been on a ferry especially with a full sized bus, but it was a great trip across the lake. On the other side, the bus headed us back to our original starting point. We walked from the bus station to a lovely fondue restaurant to enjoy a traditional Swiss meal of bread cubes and small potatoes dipped into the best cheese mixture we have ever tasted. A salad was included with the meal to complete our final day there.
On Wednesday, we arose in the middle of the night to travel home. The first flight took us from Zurich to Dusseldorf. Then, we flew from Dusseldorf to Miami. After going through customs, we prepared for our final trip to Orlando. All in all, we spent nearly 14 hours on our return trip on aircrafts. Fortunately, our luggage made it safely with us all the way.
Picking up our car and going to a local hotel in Orlando for our Disney adventure was the next order of business. We had tried to sleep on the plane as much as possible but we were very tired when we got in that evening. It was wonderful to join our son, our daughter in law, grandson Aiden and her parents.
Our last two days have seen us travel to Disneyworld and Disney Hollywood Studios to celebrate Aiden's third birthday. To see him smile, enjoy the characters of Disneyworld, and have a good time has been a blessing. Family fellowship is always rich and full. What a great way to end our long adventure!
Tomorrow, we finally return home to sleep once again in our own beds. Believe me, that will be a good feeling! We have been so many places and seen so many things. I hope you have enjoyed my little travel series on this blog. When I get all my pictures organized, I will post them on Flickr and send a link to my blog so you can look at them. Thank you for your prayers and friendship. I love your comments so feel free to leave them. I shall return to more sharing this coming week and I pray God's blessings on each one of you!

No comments: