Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Promise and a Sign

     Looming large over our community as I was driving home last night was the most vivid and spectacular rainbow.  My picture does not do it justice but it was the best I could do on my iPhone through the window of my vehicle.  Each time I see a beautiful rainbow, I remember God's promise to Noah never to destroy the earth by a great flood again.  It was a covenant that the Lord made with Noah, his family and the beasts of the earth.  Genesis 9:9-11,13,16  : "'Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth.  I establish my covenant with you that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth..... I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth...... When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.'"
     Somehow when I witness a rainbow, it has always been more than just a sign of God's covenant about destroying the earth.  As I gaze at it, I feel a peace deep within my heart because I know that, unlike man, God is a covenant keeper.  His Word can be trusted.  His promises are sure, and He never changes.  Numbers 23:19 states this about God's character:  "God is not a man, that He should lie, or a son of man, that He should change His mind.  Has He said, and will He not do it?  Or has He spoken and will He not fulfill it?"  Sadly, man makes vows or promises on a regular basis only to break them.  Yet, God is holy, righteous and just.  When He makes a covenant with man, He will always keep His part of the agreement.
     There have been many times when I have been in a quandary over situations in my life.  More often than not, as I am praying, I have come upon a rainbow.  It has happened on many occasions.  At moments like these, I feel God's assurance that He will, in His own time, bring forth the answers I need.  Certainly, my trust is in God not the rainbow.  It is He who deserves our worship, praise and honor.
     While the rainbow is beautiful, nothing compares to the covenant which God made with man through the blood of Jesus Christ His Son our Lord.  In this new covenant, we have more than an assurance that the earth will never be destroyed by a flood again.  We have God's everlasting promise of eternal life in Christ for all who come, repent and turn in faith to Him.  When we take communion, we seal the covenant between us and our Lord.  What a holy demonstration of God's amazing grace!
     Maybe life has been rocking our boat through circumstances, jobs, illness or other difficulties.  Rather than painting our world black, we need to see more rainbows and drink deeply from the cup of salvation offered to us.  God is there in the middle of all we are going through.  But don't take my word for it.  See for yourself in the pages of His Word how over and over again the Lord is faithful to those who call upon His name.  He said He would never leave us nor forsake us and that is a promise we can count on.  
     I leave you with one more promise that God has given to us in the book of Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths."  Look for those rainbows in your life rather than the storm clouds that seem to gather when you are challenged.  Remember and think on all the promises of God.  When you do, you will find the strength to go on no matter what obstacles lie in your path.  Selah!


How has God brought encouragement to your life recently?  I would love to hear from you.

No comments: