Monday, October 28, 2013

Even in the Small Things

   
Tiny white flowers in our grass
 When we think of praying to God, we tend to believe that He cares only about the big things in our lives.  At least, this was what my mother thought.  She was having trouble finding her keys one day and I suggested that she ask God for help.  For a moment, she paused and looked at me then asked:  "Why should I ask the Lord for a small thing like that?"  Then, I told her that God cares about those things which concern us even in finding something we have lost.  There have been many occasions when I have misplaced something so I stop my frantic searching, take a calming breath, and ask the Lord to help me find it.  Time after time, He has helped me locate the missing item.  Now some might think that is stretching it, but I look back to the Lord's instructions in the Book of Matthew.
      In Chapter 10, Jesus is instructing His disciples concerning the persecution they will face in the future.  He tells them not to fear because God is watching over them.  He uses this illustration in verses 29-31:  "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs on your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore;  you are of more value than many sparrows."  Each time I read this verse, I am amazed.  The sparrow is a tiny bird and yet, God knows when it falls to the ground.  He even knows the number of hairs on our head.  Therefore, why would He not care about all the issues of life that concern us both big and little?  If He is Sovereign (and I know He is), then there is nothing out of His control, His view, or His ability to act.
     Another passage which encourages us to take all things to our heavenly Father is found in Chapter 7:25-34.  In this portion of Scripture, Jesus tells us plainly not to worry about what we shall eat, drink or what we should wear.  Then, He tells us why:  "Look at the birds of the air:  they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?" (vs. 26)  God manages all His creation and is the source and provider for all.  So why do we get in such a panic mode over things in our lives?  Then, Jesus ends this passage by saying in verse 34:  "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  We borrow so much trouble by worrying about the future.  "What if this"  or "What if that" when none of it may happen.  Instead, we are to rely on God for all our needs.
Tiny lizard on our driveway
     Whenever I had a fear, a worry or a heartache, my mother would point me to these two Scriptures to help me.  This is why I trust Him to help me find a set of car keys or some other item.  I know He cares about me because He is a God with whom I have a relationship.  He is not some far off Being that stands back and allows us to flounder in life.  From the foundation of the world, He made us for His glory and has desired to fellowship with us.  For this reason, I have complete confidence in Him as my sustainer, protector, defender and Lord.
     As I was enjoying the outside today, I found the tiniest little white flowers in the grass.  The bees were getting the nectar from these little flowers.  Then, when I walked across the driveway, I saw a small lizard maybe 3 inches at most.  I couldn't help but get a picture of these two small things for both were God's handiwork.  He cares about even these small things.  Therefore, do not shrink back from talking with Him about all that concerns you.  He is able to do far more than we are able to think or accomplish, and He will NEVER leave nor forsake us.  On Him, we can depend.  Selah!

No comments: