Thursday, October 3, 2013

"The Shut Down"

 
 What started out as an ordinary day in the office, quickly became a bad dream in terms of our technical abilities.  Duke Energy had a power outage that affected a number of businesses in our immediate area.  Of course, when a medical office is involved, it doesn't just mean lights out.  All of our equipment and computers are rendered useless, but what made things worse was the fact that we had low voltage still coming into our office with brown outs and flickering lights.  It reminded me of a cheap haunted house experience.  We were all concerned when we heard popping and then the smell of burned plastic.
     After the power came on, we had an electrician check out outlets and we discovered that four surge protectors had been blown.  Thankfully they acted as protection for our electronic equipment.  It took nearly four hours just to get everything up and running once again so we were fully functional.  Even with all our new gadgetry, we are still so vulnerable when someone knocks out the power.  Isn't it good to know that we have a power source in Christ that never wavers or changes?
     As I have been reading through the book of Ezekiel, there is such clear evidence presented not only in this book but throughout the Old Testament that God holds all things in His firm control.  He rules over all the nations of this world.  There is nothing in terms of world affairs or our own personal life that He does not see and care about.
     When I read today's passage found in Ezekiel 34:1-24, I found a lot of comfort knowing that God is watching out for our souls daily.  This entire chapter deals with the false leaders and shepherds who did not care for God's people but allowed them to stray resulting in His judgment and exile.  However, even in exile, God cares about His people.  Verses 15-16 read:  "I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord God.  I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy.  I will feed them in justice."
     This blessed promise was fulfilled in Jesus Christ our Shepherd, our Lord, and our Savior.  God never lets us be cut off from His power source when we belong to Him.  Even though we stumble and fall, we will not be utterly cast down the Psalms promise us (Psalm 37:23-26).  He will be there to catch us, and for me, that is Good News.
     We live in an increasingly wicked world system with wars and rumor of wars.  The daily news is rarely filled with positive information, but my Bible tells me that we have a God who is sovereign over nations, rulers, Congress, Presidents, Prime Ministers and all manner of sickness or ill will that one man has towards another.  He has said that He will be our shepherd, our power source, and our provision when we belong to Him through the sacrifice of Christ upon the cross.  Though our world is passing away, His Word will never pass away.  Therefore, we should be encouraged today.  He will complete the work He has begun according to His will and plan.  There will be no power interruption.  All we are called to do is to stand and trust in Him.  Therefore, our daily prayer should be:  "Thy kingdom come Thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven".  May you feel His power and presence today!  Selah!

No comments: